Sunday, September 29, 2013

back from Auckland

I had a great time in Auckland just exploring the city and learning more about New Zealand. It is still spring so no beaches yet, but it is getting closer.   I stayed downtown on Shortland Street in a beautiful historic building.  It was a short walk to High street which is full of little boutiques, restaurants and coffee shops that really come to life in the evenings.  Really lovely.
Shortland street is just by that big tower with the disc on top




And a short walk to the water to watch America's Cup race from wharf 10 with a few thousand other people every morning.  Sadly the NZ team didn't win, but it wasn't for lack of trying or support.  Amazing race, I may have to try my luck at sailing, looks like a very exciting sport.

What I really have noticed about both Wellington and Auckland is that they both have well developed neighbourhoods within the city itself.  The best example I can give you is Calgary's Kensington or Marda Loop, except way more developed.    I don't think Edmonton has anything quite like it.  Anyway, I really enjoyed hanging out in a city just over the size of Calgary at 1.3 million people.

So off to see one up close for myself. I picked up a harbour tour ferry that gave some great sites of the city and North Island.





Wellington is a city of earthquakes and Auckland is the city of volcanos . Luckily, no eruptions during my visit and to make me feel a bit more comfortable I heard that they aren't active anymore. But to be honest although it was reassuring to hear, I am not sure if I really believe it.
The volcanos are protected in that you can't develop them or own them. Although, I really don't see why you would want to do either but maybe its a kiwi thing). Anyway, they look like amazingly beautiful and lush mountains or hills that are parks, lookouts our just beautiful space.

Volcano


Volcano up close


Even closer


So after a great afternoon of touring around the North Island, the little town of Davenport and some volcanos time to relax and have lunch at Corelli's and a famous flat white (coffee).


1 comment: